Richard Rust aka Gourmet Gurus has appeared extensively in food expos, on TV, radio and print, delivering fun and educational food demonstrations. With this experience Gourmet Gurus now offers exciting demonstrations, cooking classes and chef’s tables to delight and tantalise the senses. I trained in the UK as a pastry chef at the world renowned Russacks Hotel where I cooked for British Royalty.
I then studied food culminating in a HND at Manchester University.
After holding several prestigious Head Chef positions in the UK I then moved to Gauteng and worked as the regional TASTE Chef Manager for Woolworths where I wrote for various publications, appeared on TV and Radio and cooked with many local and International celebrity chefs including Ainsley Harriot, Alan Coxon, Sharon Glass, The Giggling Gourmet.
My company specialises in cooking classes, demonstrations, chef’s tables, corporate and private catering
My food philosophy is simple in that food is only as good as the quality of the ingredients used and being able to identify each component on the plate. By only using seasonal, top quality fresh ingredients is this possible.
My inspiration is drawn from classical cookery and being true to the ingredients used and avoiding over complication to create stylish, clean, natural and elegant plates of food with a modern twist.
Gourmet Gurus are based in the Johannesburg area, and currently service Gauteng.
The ultimate experience: A delightful combination of a food demonstration and a sit down dinner for you to enjoy in the comfort of your own home or venue.
Decide on a theme and we will tantalise your tastebuds with various designed menus; then simply choose one, invite your guests and Gourmet Gurus will thrill you with a fun, unique evening for everyone to remember.
Enjoy an interactive food demonstration – you can participate as much as you want to! Learn the ‘secrets’ of chefs and then enjoy the gourmet gurus taste tickling meal.
Whatever your age or skill, Gourmet Gurus cooking classes are fantastic fun as well as being informative.
Held at Miele Bryanston, La Trinita Kyalami and Best Italia Kyalami enjoy the thrill of learning new dishes, tasting them and meeting new people.
On request Gourmet Gurus can also hold corporate team building cooking classes and private cooking classes in your home or venue.
Coming soon life skill cooking classes for teens! Contact Gourmet Gurus for more information.
Richard has demonstrated all over the country including the Good Food and Wine Show, Sunday Times Food Show, The Cheese Festival, V&A Food Festival at the Waterfront, Decorex JHB; on TV including Top Billing, SABC 2, Mnet and broadcast on 5fm.
He has demonstrated for Woolworths, PnP, BM Foods, LG, Miele and the Angela Day kitchen and has demonstrated with both local and international celebrities including Ainsley Harriet, Alan Coxon, Graeme Shapiro, Sharon Glass, The Giggling Gourmet; Jo-Ann Strauss amongst many others.
His fun yet informative style ensures you will keep coming back for more.
Contact Gourmet Gurus for regular demonstrations at the Miele Kitchen in Bryanston and Best Italia in Kyalami.
Richard also offers corporate events for team building, highlighting new products and equipment as well as appearing at food shows.
We will tailor make an unforgettable deliciously different event to your requirements based on your theme and budget for 10-500 people.
- Delicious canapés to nibble on for any event.
- Bespoke 5* sit down served meals.
- Amazing braais and barbeques.
- Inspired buffets.
- Full bar and waiter services can also be arranged to make your event stress free and memorable.
Executive boardroom lunches
Our catering service offers the convenience of 5* restaurant meals in the comfort of your meeting or boardroom with full waiter service.
Below is an example of our offering, we are happy to tailor make your menu
- Pesto marinated buffalo mozzarella with tomatoes, olives, avocado and rocket with a balsamic glaze
- Smoked salmon, cream cheese and cucumber roulade drizzled with a lemon dressing
- Mushroom tortellini in a pine nut and sage butter topped with parmesan shavings
- Avocado and prawn salad finished with a Spicy Thai dressing
- Beef fillet topped with warm brie and crisp Parma ham served with a red wine jus
- Scottish salmon poached in a champagne beurre blanc garnished with grilled asparagus
- West Coast Sole topped with a shrimp mousse accompanied with a roasted tomato sauce
- Herb and Parmesan Crusted French trimmed lamb rack with a Bordeaux sauce
- Pork Tenderloin wrapped in sage and Prosciutto with a mustard and Masala Sauce
- Chenin Blanc poached chicken fillet topped with grilled langoustine
- Grilled King Prawns in a Langoustine and garlic butter sauce
All Mains served with suitable starch and vegetables
- Classic Crème Brulee
- Warm Dark Chocolate Tart with a White Chocolate Mascarpone
- Strawberry and Champagne Sabayon with Sesame Tuille
- Exotic Fruit Salad with Vanilla Seed Honeyed Yoghurt Pannacotta
Whether an upmarket dinner party to wow your guests, cocktail parties, events or a themed children’s party; Gourmet Gurus offers the highest standard of food and service.
Whatever your party involves let Gourmet Gurus take you on a journey of gastronomic discovery of artistic and delectable food.
Below is an example of various delightfully delicious canapé items:
- Gazpacho shooters
- Rice paper rolls filled with asian spiced vegetables
- Rostis topped with chicken and mango salsa
- Brie and onion marmalade Phyllo cigars
- Bruschetta topped with rocket, mustard mayonnaise and rare beef fillet
- Choux buns filled with emmenthaler and bacon
- Thai prawn skewer
- Mini Beef Wellington bites
- Sweet potato crisps topped with Springbok
- Carpaccio, Parmesan and Balsamic
- Blinis or rostis topped with smoked salmon and crème fraiche
- Smoked salmon wrapped around asparagus
- Pesto marinated mozzarella balls encased in parma ham
- Thai prawn cakes with sweet chilli sauce
- Hoisin duck spring rolls served with plum dipping sauce
- Oysters with a dash of chilli tequilla
- Parmesan tuille filled with rocket, carpaccio and parmesan